For the last two years our federal government, and far too many state governments, have been dominated by anti-worker politicians. The results have been disastrous for working people.
However, insurgents inspired by Bernie Sanders are increasingly challenging both right-wing Republicans and corporate Democrats. If working people — still the vast majority of potential voters — turn out to vote, we can put our country on the road towards winning:
- “Medicare for All” single-payer healthcare, taking healthcare off the bargaining table.
- Recognition of the right of every worker to join a union.
- Investment in infrastructure to create good jobs.
- Free tuition at public colleges and universities.
- Get Out the Vote Leaflet: Black and White | Color | Social media version
- UE NEWS coverage of what's at stake in the election
- UE Steward: The Role of the UE Steward in an Election Year
- UE Steward: Getting Out the Vote
- UE Policy (see how candidates stack up against it)
- Our Revolution, the political organization started to continue Bernie Sanders' campaign for worker-friendly politicians
- Iowa: The job and working conditions you save could be your own! | Social media version
- Pennsylvania: Governor (Tom Wolf) | Congress and Senate (Ron DiNicola and Bob Casey)
Social media versions: Tom Wolf | Ron DiNicola | Bob Casey
- Wisconsin: Send a worker to Congress! (Randy Bryce) | No union-busting governor (send Scott Walker home)
Social media versions: Randy Bryce | Send Scott Walker home
- North Carolina: UE Local 150 Nix all six constitutional amendments
- California: Yes on Prop 10 | Social media version
About UE Political Action
UE Political Action is about educating the membership on the issues, and then mobilizing the membership to take action in their own interests. We promote political solutions for the problems that union members and working people face, and we utilize the political arena to defend ourselves against attacks and the politicians who launch them.
Make it a regular priority to stop back and see what's new on this section of our UE web page. Political action is a year-round undertaking, and it is about a whole lot more than just supporting or opposing candidates for public office. Here you will find information on UE's positions on the issues — democratically decided by the membership — as well as Political Action Updates which provide news and suggestions for action either to advance our positions or to defend our membership from attack.
This is serious business. What we win for our members through the collective bargaining process can be gutted or even stripped away from us in the state legislatures or in Congress. There are also issues and problems that we face which cannot be addressed at the bargaining table, and as working people we have the right to expect that our governmental bodies and representatives will respond to the needs of the people. UE's particular style of political action education and mobilization — based on the issues — has stood the test of time over our 75 year history. Do your part and stay informed, and share this critical information with others in your UE local union.