What would you call it when:
- Workers who try to organize their workplaces have a one in five chance of getting fired.
- Union "elections" are held in a climate of terror where employers hire outside consultants to run anti-union campaigns, force employees to attend closed-door meetings to hear anti-union propaganda, and threaten to close or relocate their businesses if workers elect to form a union.
- Almost half of all newly organized unions are destroyed before they can negotiate a first union contract.
- Bosses massively violate labor laws and are never punished and never fined.
- Politicians pass "right to freeload" laws to weaken unions, while restricting union members' rights to picket or boycott.
- Corporations exploit workers — and prevent them from organizing — by misclassifying them as independent contractors.
We call it a Labor Rights EMERGENCY! Union busting leads to falling wages, declining living standards, and an increasing climate of fear in the workplace.
What can we do about it?
Support the Workplace Democracy Act (S 2810 and HR 5728), a bill that would restore the right of working people to join a union and bargain a first contract. This bill would force bosses to recognize a union once a majority has signed union cards, provides for binding arbitration of first contracts, levels real penalties on bosses who break the law, and more.
- Call (202) 224-3121 and ask your Senators and your Representative to co-sponsor and support the Workplace Democracy Act (S 2810 in the senate, HR 5728 in the House).
- Write letters:
Office of Senator ____________________
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
- Organize a delegation from your local union or workplace to meet with your Senators or Representative in their local office. Invite members of other unions and concerned community groups to come along.