The Policy Action Committee of the 78th National Convention calls on all UE Locals to mobilize their members in support of the following policy action recommendations in the period leading up to the 2024 elections:
A Green New Deal
- Endorses the Green New Deal legislation introduced by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Ed Markey;
- Demands Congress implement the policy prescriptions of the Green Locomotive Project;
- Demands that all environmental policies, including those targeting climate change, incorporate a just transition for workers and communities affected.
- Opposes assault on affirmative action;
- Calls for elimination of racial profiling, police brutality, and “stop and frisk,” a repeal of “stand your ground” laws, and stands in opposition with the politicians that would support these policies;
- Calls upon the union at all levels to support political candidates that vehemently oppose racism and discrimination of all kinds and at all levels of government.
The Battle for Equal Women’s Rights
- Supports pro-labor candidates, particularly women, that openly support women’s choice and family planning;
- Demands Congress pass the Women’s Health Protection Act (H.R. 12), which would establish federal legislative protections for women’s right to choose to terminate a pregnancy;
- Demands Congress improve and expand the Family Medical Leave Act and ensure all workers receive full benefits for any family member.